The market demand for precision design and layout on high-end jewelry requires advanced skills in small-scale hand engraving. This course teaches multiple methods that facilitate the engraving of intricate designs. The student will also learn how to create several graver shapes to use in this process along with strategies to assist with appropriate design and layout. Bright cut script lettering, block lettering, miniature scrollwork, petite decorative designs, inside ring engraving, and proper use of millgrain tools will also be areas of focus.
- Re-introduction of equipment & tools
- Refresher on tool preparation including accurate sharpening and polishing
- Use of transfer techniques for design and layout for engraving as well as hand-drawn designs
- Design and engrave borders for use on many types of jewelry pieces
- Millgrained edges
- The most popular bright and flair cut designs along with new and creative styles
- Design and engrave script lettering
- Inside ring layout and engraving
- Create bent inside ring engraver for horizontal cuts
- Engrave embellished block lettering
- Small-scale sculpting and chasing
- Micro inlay
Completion of a GRS Intermediate Metal Engraving course or instructor approval is required, as well as an understanding of proper tool sharpening and use of pneumatic engraving equipment.
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.