This course will cover the fabrication and embellishment of the most popular items of saddle silver. Students will have the choice of either making a horn cap or cantle conch, and a typical saddle concho. They will also be invited to apply their brand/initials to their piece. Through the fabrication process and introduction to tooling, students will be able to take the knowledge gained in class and continue to make saddle silver at home. This class will be full of sawing, soldering, forming, polishing and engraving. Students should have a firm understanding of basic graver sharpening and basic bright cut technique.
- Fabrication of horn cap, or cantle concho, as well as a typical saddle concho
- Discussion on proper tooling
- Methods of attaching the saddle silver to the saddle
- Building capped nail heads or nail head covers
- Proper sawing methods
- Soldering and forming
- Polish and cleanup of project
- Decorative engraving on class projects
Horn Cap or Cantle Concho, as well as a typical saddle concho.
Completion of a GRS Intermediate Metal Engraving course or instructor approval is required, as well as an understanding of proper tool sharpening and use of pneumatic engraving equipment.
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.